Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is the innovative program designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn is Professor of Medicine Emeritus and founding director of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Jon Kabat-Zinn with the specific raison d’être of it being to improve the quality of life of its practitioners by cultivating their Mindfulness.
Mindfulness is a key concept within the MBSR programme and is specifically defined by its creator as follows:
Paying attention in a particular way-on purpose, in the present moment and without judgment.
The effects of mindfulness on a wide range of groups have been robustly tested and researched in some of the world’s leading universities. Amongst the many researched benefits are:
- Significant improvement in emotional and social functioning
- Improvement in general health and vitality
- Reduction in visits to healthcare provider
- Effective method of stress reduction
- Reduction in psychological distress for sufferers of long term conditions
The application of Mindfulness is being used in many locations and with many groups and consistently research supports the benefits people experience.
There can also be secondary benefits as in the case of Mindful Parenting, which deepens the parent child connection, children who grow feeling connected to their parents:
- Have healthy self-esteem
- Do better in school
- Choose healthy relationships
- Feel comfortable around adults
- Explore and try new things
- Have an easier time with change
- Develop a positive self-concept